A group discussion is a team or group of several individuals who sit together to discuss a topic or exchange viewpoints regarding a particular topic. Professors usually conduct GDs as part of their speaking assignments. The topic is either provided by a moderator or by the professors themselves. On the contrary, in some cases, moderators ask the students to develop their group discussion topics independently. In such a case, you need to decide the most appropriate topic that the entire group can work on. Thus the group should choose a topic that can enhance the entire group’s viewpoints, knowledge, and experiences.
This blog post will share a list of 100+ enticing group discussion topics. However, before jumping to the topic lists, we will share some expert tips to help you choose the topic. These will help you choose an ideal topic to discuss in a group. So, continue reading this blog post to boost your confidence, communication, analytical, and logical skills.
Table of Contents
What is a Group Discussion?
Group discussion is a learning method where individuals and students share their viewpoints, experiences, opinions, knowledge, etc. It is generally a screening test that a college admissions panel conducts to analyze the general abilities of the candidates.
In most cases, admission panels for MBA admissions use this technique to screen various candidates and choose the most qualified of them. Group discussion is an influential group activity that helps students boosts their critical thinking, problem-solving, analytical, confidence, and, most importantly, knowledge. As a result, many businesses and educational institutions view GD as one of the most efficient techniques for assessing and short-listing suitable applicants.
If want higher grades pay someone to write your paper.
How to Select a Good Topic?
Group discussions tend to be more specific and formal, and a top-notch group discussion can significantly impact your academic grades. In this context, students must choose a topic that is appropriate and in which all participants are enthusiastic about participating.
- As a group activity, it is critical that whatever topic you select be suitable for all the members and be able to engage them equally. You should choose a topic that all of your teammates would enjoy. The topic should stimulate their ideas and opinions.
- The subject matter for the group discussion should allow the participants to draw on prior knowledge they have acquired. It will guarantee that all members are on the same page and working toward the same goal.
- After asking a question, give your team members a few minutes to think about the question. It will give them time to articulate their thoughts and suggestions and provide relevant answers.
- Choose a group discussion topic based on the past few events. It will help you spice up the discussion, as the event must have happened in the recent past. It ensures equal engagement of all the members throughout the discussion.
- Group discussions indeed promote in-dependency among all participants. Nevertheless, one should remember that this is also a group activity. Thus, along with promoting individualism, you should also help your teammates develop solutions to the issue.
Top 100 +Group Discussion Topics
Suitable discussion topics are essential for delivering an engaging group discussion. Below we are sharing some exciting and relevant group discussion topics in various subjects, including science, politics, and sports. Depending on your needs, you’re free to choose any subject per your wish and deliver a quality paper. So, have a look at the following lists and pick the most appropriate for your GD:
Trending Group Discussions Topics for Student
Generally, a group discussion revolves around current events, facts, controversies, case studies, and short studies that can quickly grab audiences’ attention. Below are some interesting and relevant current topics for group discussions:
- The impact of COVID-19’s breakdown on the global economy
- The politics of global fuel pricing
- Marriage is a social trap
- Capital punishment as a system
- The economic development of India
- The economy of India: India overtakes the UK as the world’s fifth-largest economy.
- The anatomy of the Indian digital transactions
- Islamophobia and racism in America
- OTT versus theatre: what is the future of entertainment?
- The Russia-Ukraine war and the global conflict
- The augmented reality of the Metaverse
- Abortion in the United States
- The mitigation of climate change
- The contradictions of capital punishment from a global perspective
- The Taliban and the strategic co-optation of Afghanistan
- The fate of Afghan women
- The alarming scarcity of water
- Legalization of human cloning
Group Discussion Topics in Business and Economics
Business and economics are two of the most popular adult group discussion topics that can elicit lively participation from all participants. Have a look at these topics to discuss in a group:
- Economic discounts: are they beneficiary in the long run?
- Global Hunger Index 2022
- Circular economy as the key to sustainable development
- The fourth industrial revolution
- The global economic impact of COVID-19
- Cryptocurrency is a worthwhile investment option
- High fuel prices in the US
- Merits and demerits of a cashless economy
- Fair Digital Finance
- Artificial intelligence for everyone
- IPO Part 2: Initial Public Offerings Are Back
- The US trade policy
- The US-China trade war and talks
- Modern business and its surroundings
- Work from home after the COVID-19 breakdown
- Controversy as a marketing strategy
- Can nonperforming banks resolve India’s NPA problems?
- The impact of the cashless economy: the challenges and the opportunities
- Is democracy a hindrance to economic development?
- Privatization of public sectors
Read Also – A List of 100+ Research Topics in Education
Group Discussion Topics for MBA Students
Group discussions are one of the crucial elements of the admission of MBA students. Thus, to clear your entrance, it is highly beneficial for students to select a topic that can help them attain exceptional scores in their entrances. Examine the following topics and select the one that best meets your needs.
- The future of artificial intelligence
- Emerging challenges in the Indian banking system
- Green economy: incremental or transformational change?
- The prospects of work-life balance
- Recession in the US by 2022
- Corruption is a necessary evil to earn success
- Work-life balance and working from home
- Globalization: has it transformed the globe into a borderless world?
- What will happen if bitcoin crashes to zero?
- Promoting gender equality in the workplace: a global perspective
Interesting Topics for Group Discussions on Sports
As sports involvement is increasing worldwide, it can be a fascinating topic for your group discussion. Here are some excellent group discussion topics for students who want to choose sports-related topics for their group discussions:
- Legalization and regulation of sports betting
- Steroids in sports
- The psychology of sports
- The politics of sports facilities
- Understanding cricket as an overrated game
- Test matches: should the government abolish these?
- Should the government legalize performance-enhancing drugs?
- The economics of the Olympics
- Test matches should be abolished.
- Gender equality in sports
- MMA vs. Boxing
- Match fixing: the biggest threat to sports
- The economic impact of hosting the Olympic games
- The tragic international sports marketing
Read Also – Top 100 Position Paper Topics
Interesting Topics for Group Discussion on Case Studies
Just like group discussions, case studies are conducted to analyze an individual’s viewpoint, experience, performance, and behavior at a certain event. Here you will find a list of a few case studies you can use as your group discussion topic. So, if you’re interested in case studies, here are a few case study group discussion topics for you:
- Integrity as a part of human life
- The case of Albert Ayala vs. the State of Texas
- Recycling for Profits: How to Profit from Recycling
- The decline in productivity in the Japanese workforce
- The coal crisis in The World
- The minimum wage legislation in the United States
- The Chevron case
- Ban on a Cryptocurrency
- The China and Taiwan conflicts
- Plastic bans in the United States
- The world after the post-cold war
- Market capitalization: pre- and post-COVID-19 fractal contagion effects
- Nakamura Lacquer Company
- The global consequences of lockdown on the world
- India’s soft power: India’s greatest asset in this century
- The US-China trade war
- The tragic fate of women in Afghanistan
- The economic consequences of the Russia-Ukraine conflict
- Indian illiteracy and unemployment
Read Also – 200+ Exciting Psychology Research Topic Ideas
Social Issues-Related Group Discussion Topics
Group discussion topics on social issues emphasize social issues that affect society. These issues include a variety of topics, including ethics, gender inequality, the environment, employment, education, politics, and beyond. Below are the latest social issue topics for group discussion:
- The long history of feminism
- Nepotism in the workplace and its adverse impacts on professionalism
- Pseudo-feminism vs. feminism
- Marital rape
- Analyzing behavioral differences between Gen Z and Millennial
- Youth and politics
- Gender inequalities in the workplace
- The safe school policy for LGTBQ students
- The rampant use of substances and drugs among adults
- The gay marriage generation: valuing everyone under the law
- The law on abortion in the United States
- Is women’s empowerment an effective solution to ending violence against women?
- Communalism and its effect on social cohesion
- Child beauty pageants: the killing of innocence
- Work from home vs. work from the office
- Lessons we learned as a society from the COVID-19 outbreak
- A critical analysis of legal organ transplant scams across the world
- Crime and unemployment: what is the relationship between the two?
- Road rage is a serious issue in modern society.
- Borderless world: a myth or reality?
- The economic crisis in Sri Lanka: what led to bankruptcy?
There’s a saying that rings true for all of us that there is a significant difference between an argument and a discussion. . Remember that this is a group discussion, not an argument. It will be the group discussion that will help you score high in front of your admission panels. Thus, instead of disparaging one another, try to discuss the issues. A structured schedule will ensure that all members are focused and punctual in their responsibilities to achieve their goals.
These were some of the trending group discussion topics of 2022. The above-given topics should benefit moderators and participants for their upcoming group discussion session. Practicing articulating your thoughts in a disciplined and creative manner will help you to stand out of the curve. Hopefully, this blog has helped you get a better insight into group discussion topics.