Understanding of applied vs. basic research
During the processing of a research work almost the majority of the researchers fail to understand the differences between the basic and applied research at the time of higher education. Research work is basically the calculation and findings of data and information based on the previous endings research points. Therefore based on the entity and findings of an individual the research process generally further conducted. On the basis of the functional aspect of basic vs. applied research, it is mostly essential to understand the features of both the research approach based on their definitions.
What is basic research?
The scientific definition of the basic research is related to the advance approach towards the existing scientific knowledge of the study. As discussed by renowned author Arthur Samuel, “Knowledge” and “Expertise” helps to make an informative prediction and research. This Kind of approach helps to understand the basic phenomenon of the study that is natural and also related to the existing study as well. This kind of research is also known as pure research or the fundamental research process. As the research analysis helps to enhance the knowledge regarding the topic that is related to the fundamental field that is made to make the important scientific research and also profit rather adding marketable profit.
What is applied research?
Basic definition of applied research is that it is such kind of research that helps in the application of natural science in real-life basis. The aim of such a research approach is related to the finding and contributing in the scientific technology of the existing research study. This kind of research approach is also considered as basic science research. The particular reason behind such kind of consideration is related to the natural fact that applied research develops the situation totally based on the real life situation and also provides solutions based on the real life situation as well.
Therefore during the conduction of the research analysis, the researcher needs to analyze and study the natural circumstances for the study and also make the application based on the circumstances from where the study has started to find the result. As suggested by Hedrick and Rog “applied research differs substantially from the environment of basic research”. Thus it can be said that applied research always aids to make the solution of the scientific problem related to the existing study. Along with that it also can be said that based on the practical approach of the study, the approach is pretty much successful in its approach and also applicable based on the necessity of the study as well. Also the applied research process focuses on the application and development of the scientific tools and techniques that will have a major contribution in the future perspective of the scientific analysis of any research study.
Also, Read : Analysis of Research Methodology
Applied vs. basic research
- Discussing about the key difference between the two existing research, it can be added that the both the two research processes help in the development of the study of scientific approaches. In terms of definition, the applied research aids to make the practical solution of the problem that is related to the scientific problem of the study. Whereas the basic approach tends to contribute in the field of knowledge. Therefore basic research helps to expand the knowledge, whereas the applied research helps to resolve any scientific issue. Therefore the concerning of the applied research is only related to the analysis of the process and also contributes in the development of the process related to the scientific issue as well.
- In terms of characteristics the basic research is more or less theory oriented whereas the applied research is specifically application based knowledge based on the study and also the scientific application as well. In the very same way it also can be said that the basic research is specifically solution based knowledge gathering approach whereas the applied research is particularly the action oriented research.
- Basic research makes the advantages based on the perspectives like acquiring knowledge and also expansion of knowledge. In comparison to this knowledge, the applied research is based on the making of application of the knowledge related to the making of solutions related to the existing problem in the study as well.
- Other than this, the advantageous approach of both the studies are related to the fact like the applied research plays a significant developmental role towards an individual and also an organization to resolve any science-based problem, even in the very same way the basic research helps to make the remarkable expansion of knowledge of an individual as well.
|Basic Research||Applied Research|
|Basic approach tends to contribute in the field of knowledge||Applied research aids to make the practical solution of the problem|
|Basic research is more or less theory oriented||Applied research is specifically application based knowledge|
|Basic research makes the advantages based on the perspectives like acquiring knowledge and also expansion of knowledge||applied research is based on the making of application of the knowledge|
Similarities between applied and basic research
- The similarities analysis of both basic and applied research represents the things that both the process uses the same approaches of researcher including the qualitative and also the quantitative, like the survey methods or any interview process for the collection of data.
- In some cases the results of basic research works as the bedrock of the applied research also.
- In order to support the hypothesis methods both of the research process utilizes the methods of deductive and inductive approach of data collection and also data analysis also.
- Here in cases the inductive reasoning process entails from the observation to a specific idea as well.
Example of basic and applied research
Most important questions that arise from the side of the students to clarify the differences between the applied and basic research are like in the case of educational purpose as follows.
On the behalf of the example of basic research, it can be said that
- In what way does the memory of a human being work?
- How are children able to acquire and apply new knowledge?
In comparison to basic research, the example of applied research can be
- A specific study is to build up the interest of students in religious aspects.
- A specific study in order to develop the approach of improving the communication between the students and the teachers.
In the case of health sector, the example of basic research can be like
-An investigation on the basic symptoms of covid-19
Same in the case of the applied research, it can be that.
– An investigation on the determination of the side effects of the medicine of covid pandemic.
It also has been found out that in the year 2018, 36.4% of research penetration regarding the health sector has been done from the side of the university research approach.
- Therefore the purpose of the basic research is only related to the act of pursuing the tendency to get more knowledge and also dig out the best knowledge regarding the existing field.
- On the other hand, the motive of the applied research is like that it is generally driven out by the study of providing the saluting to the existing issues and challenges in the scientific perspectives as well.
- This purpose is suggesting the perspectives that the applied research is related to the fact that applied research is primarily concerned with the perspectives of suggesting solutions to the existing problems, and in this way the research generally tends to provide the solution to the issue along with surviving the knowledge to the body of scientific analysis as well.
- In the case of findings of the result, for applied research the researcher is able to find out the result related to solid and valid formulation of the study, and also provide the formulation to the conclusion of the hypothetical analysis of the study as well.
- In comparison to the study, the basic research helps to discuss about the new theories and processes in the study that are related to the concluding note of the study as well.
Therefore it can be said that the basic research cannot be considered that it does not have any innovative contribution in the body of knowledge. On the very opposite of it the applied research is particularly best on the purpose where it has the complete contribution in the innovative aspect of knowledge as well. In a sentence, the basic research provides the theoretical contribution to the science and its body of knowledge, whereas the applied research provides the applicable solution to the science along with serving the solution to the challenges and issues.
The primary motivation of this study is to work as a research paper helper that can have the significant developmental role for the progression of the research work. It also helps in the perspectives of the conclusion of the research work by providing the solid guideline regarding the basic research perspectives and also the applied research perspectives also. Other perspectives of this study will also make a researcher to find out the differences like basic vs. applied research and which one is best.
In order to sum up the discussion, it can be said that to understand the similarities and similarities between the applied and the basic research for the successful conduction of a research study. As highlighted in the above mentioned discussion the purpose of the both research lies in the perspectives of the contribution of both the study. Along with the differentiation of both the research studies baked on the purpose, the outcomes of the research approaches also helps a researcher to differentiate the distinction between applied and basic research processes as well. However it also can be said that both processes adopt the similar kind of data collection process to reach in the outcomes.